To follow the sweet potato pie recipe instructions, here is a step-by-step guide:
- Preheat the oven: Set the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) and allow the oven to preheat. Make sure the oven is empty and ready for baking.
- Prepare the filling: Using an electric hand mixer, combine the following ingredients in a mixing bowl:
- Potatoes (presumably mashed or pureed)
- 1 cup of sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Spices (such as cinnamon, nutmeg, or any spices mentioned in your recipe)
Mix the ingredients thoroughly until well combined. Then, add the milk to the mixture and continue mixing until the filling is smooth and evenly blended.
- Fill the pie crust: Pour the prepared filling into the pie crust. Ensure that the pie crust is already in a pie dish or tin. Spread the filling evenly within the crust.
- Bake the pie: Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 35 to 45 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a knife into the center of the pie—if it comes out clean, the pie is done. The exact baking time may vary, so keep an eye on it.
- Cool the pie: Once the pie is baked, remove it from the oven and place it on a cooling rack. Allow it to cool to room temperature before moving on to the next step.
- Prepare the meringue: Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, one tablespoon at a time, while continuing to beat. Beat until the sugar dissolves completely and the mixture becomes glossy and stiff, but not dry.
- Apply the meringue: Spoon the meringue onto the pie with a rubber spatula, starting from the edges and working your way to the center. Create peaks in the meringue for an attractive appearance. Ensure that the meringue touches the crust all around to prevent shrinking or separation during baking.
- Sprinkle sugar and bake: Sprinkle a pinch of granulated sugar over the meringue for added sweetness and texture. Place the pie back in the oven and bake for another 10 to 12 minutes, or until the meringue turns delicately browned.
- Cool and serve: Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool completely. Once cooled, you can cover the pie and refrigerate it until ready to serve. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Enjoy your homemade pie with a delicious potato filling and fluffy meringue topping!