Candied Yams Recipe
Candied yams recipes are a popular dish in the United States made from sweet potatoes that are cooked in a sweet, buttery glaze until tender and caramelized.
CANDIED YAMS RECIPE DETAIL
Serving Size: 4
Approx Calories: 1,540 calories
Cooking time: 45 min
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Peel the sweet potatoes and slice them into 3/4-inch thick pieces.
- In a pot, melt the butter and margarine. Add the sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the sweet potato slices to the pot and stir to coat them in the syrup. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot.
- Cook the sweet potatoes on low heat for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until they become candied. The potatoes should be tender but slightly firm around the edges.
- Serve the candied yams hot.