Hot and Spicy Vegetarian Chilli Recipe
Note: This recipe serves approximately 6 servings.
Nutritional Information per Serving:
- Calories: 302
- Fat: 6g (Saturated 1g)
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 488mg
- Carbohydrate: 50g
- Dietary Fiber: 15g
- Protein: 16g
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green onion, finely chopped
- 3 large celery ribs, chopped
- One 28-ounce can of no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- Chili seasoning (see the following recipe)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups red kidney beans, cooked and drained (or one 16-ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups cannellini beans, cooked and drained (or one 16-ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup black beans, cooked and drained (or one 8-ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Method for chili Seasoning:
In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, turmeric, black pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, paprika, and oregano.
Method for Recipe:
- In a large stockpot, add olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, bell peppers, onion, and celery, and cook until the vegetables are softened about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chili seasoning, and 4 cups of water and stir. Allow to simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans, cannellini beans, black beans, and jalapeño (seed the jalapeño if you want less heat in the chili), and allow to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
Meal plan servings: 1.5 starches, 1.5 ounces protein, 1.5 vegetables, 1 fat.
Per serving: Calories 302 (From Fat 55); Fat 6g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 488mg; Carbohydrate 50g; Dietary Fiber 15g; Protein 16g.