Southern Deep Fried Chicken Recipe
Southern Deep Fried Chicken is a popular dish in Southern cuisine, known for its crispy and flavorful coating. It is made by seasoning chicken pieces with a blend of herbs and spices, then coating them in a batter or flour mixture before frying until golden brown.
Southern Deep Fried Chicken Recipe Detail
cooking time: depends on marination
Cookware and Utensils:
- 1 Deep Fryer
- 2 large bowls
- 1 small bowl
- 1 tong
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds fryer chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 sugarfree cornflakes (plain)
- 2 tablespoons of seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry season
- cooking oil for Deep Fryer
As always the key to great cooking is preparation and quality ingredients.
- Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Pour buttermilk into a large bowl. Place chicken into a bowl and soak in your refrigerator for about 4 hours.
- Now it’s time to form your mixture. In another large bowl, crush cornflakes well. After crushing cornflakes add flour, seasoning salt, garlic, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and poultry seasoning.
- After about 4 hours remove chicken from the refrigerator.
- Place egg yolks into a small bowl and beat until smooth.
- Find yourself a paper or plastic bag that will be used to shake the chicken. Now place enough mixture to coat a piece of chicken into the bag.
- Dip a single piece of chicken into the egg yolks and then shake the chicken in the mixture. Do this twice for each piece of chicken. Allow your chicken to sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes before frying.
- Follow the instructions on your deep fryer for preparing and heating your oil. When the oil is ready place your chicken into the fryer and cook until done. The chicken should be golden brown, using tongs turn the chicken if necessary. Don’t overcrowd the fryer.