SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS RECIPE
The Smothered Pork Chops recipe belongs to the Main Course category. It is a hearty and flavorful dish featuring tender pork chops smothered in a rich and savory gravy. This recipe is commonly enjoyed as a satisfying dinner option and is often served with mashed potatoes, rice, or vegetables. The combination of juicy pork chops and delicious gravy makes it a popular choice for comforting and delicious home-cooked meals.
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1 small onion, sliced julienne
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 center-cut pork chops
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 (10.75 ounces) can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- Place 1/2 cup all-purpose flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add the pork chops, two at a time, and shake the bag to coat the chops evenly with flour. This helps create a crispy coating when frying.
- Heat 1/3 cup vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully add the coated pork chops to the skillet. Fry the chops until they are browned on both sides, which usually takes about 4-5 minutes per side. The browning adds flavor and texture to the chops.
- Remove the browned chops from the skillet and set them aside. In the same skillet, add the sliced onions, granulated garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium and sauté the onions until they become tender and slightly caramelized, which usually takes about 5 minutes. This step adds flavor to the dish.
- In the skillet with the sautéed onions, blend 1 can (10.75 ounces) of condensed cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 cup of milk. Stir well to incorporate the soup and milk, making sure to scrape up any browned bits of bread left over from the pork chops. The bits add extra flavor to the gravy. You can adjust the amount of milk based on how thick you want the gravy to be.
- Bring the soup mixture to a gentle boil, increasing the heat slightly if necessary. Once the mixture is bubbling, return the browned pork chops to the skillet, making sure to coat them well with the gravy. Cover the skillet and reduce the heat to low. Let the chops simmer in the gravy for about 20 minutes, or until they are cooked through. This allows the flavors to meld together and ensures that the pork chops are tender and fully cooked.
Enjoy your delicious and flavorful smothered pork chops with a rich gravy.