Fried Chicken Gizzards Recipe
- 1-1/2 pound chicken gizzards
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoon seasoning salt
- vegetable oil
- First, you want to prep gizzards for cooking. Remove gizzards from the container and discard chicken hearts if they’re present. Cutaway excessive fat and gristle, then wash gizzards thoroughly under running cold water.
- Next, it’s time for the most important step…parboiling the gizzards before frying them. Place gizzards in a pot of cold water, bring water to a rolling boil, and continue to boil for about 15 minutes.
- While the gizzards are boiling, prepare a coating mixture for the gizzards. Combine flour and seasoning salt in a paper or plastic bag. Shake well and set seasoned flour mixture aside.
- Once finished boiling, pour gizzards into a strainer or clean sink and allow to cool.
- Preheat enough vegetable oil to cover gizzards in a medium-hard bottom or cast iron skillet (with lid) over medium-high heat.
- Thoroughly coat gizzards with seasoned flour mixture and place into hot vegetable oil. Don’t overcrowd the skillet. Cook gizzards on both sides until brown.
- Turn down the heat to medium, then cover skillet with a lid and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Once done remove from skillet and allow to drain on paper towels.