Sweetie Pie’s Southern biscuit recipe
Sweetie Pie’s Southern biscuit recipe is a classic and beloved dish in Southern cuisine. Biscuits are often enjoyed as a breakfast staple or as a side dish with meals.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup chilled buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celsius).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Use your fingertips to rub the butter and shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Create a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and dust the top with flour. Gently fold the dough over itself 5 or 6 times.
- Press the dough into a 1-inch thick round shape. Use a 2-inch cutter to cut out biscuits, placing them close together on a baking sheet.
- If there is any remaining dough, handle it minimally while reshaping and cutting additional biscuits.
- Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they rise tall and achieve a light golden color on top.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and let them cool slightly before serving.
Nutritional Information (per biscuit):
- Calories: 121
- Total Fat: 4.5 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
- Total Carbohydrates: 17 grams
- Sugar: 1 gram
- Fiber: 0.5 gram
- Cholesterol: 6 milligrams
- Sodium: 331 milligrams
Note: The nutritional information provided is approximate and may vary based on specific ingredients used.