- 1 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1 cup(s) cake flour, (not self rising)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon(s) orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 teaspoon(s) orange zest, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) orange extract
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 4 ounce(s) cream cheese
- 2 tablespoon(s) orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 teaspoon(s) (additional) fresh orange juice
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) grated orange zest
- 3 1/4 cup(s) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Strips of orange peel, julienned, for garnish
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of the sugar with cake flour; sift onto a piece of waxed paper.
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup of the sugar 3 minutes. Beat in orange juice, zest, and extract.
- Thoroughly clean beaters. In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites, lemon juice, and salt until foamy and beginning to hold their shape. Increase speed to medium-high; beat in the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue to beat until soft, glossy peaks form. Quickly beat in vanilla. Sift one third of flour mixture over beaten whites; gently fold in with a large rubber spatula, just until blended. Repeat 2 more times with the remaining flour mixture. Gently scrape half the batter into another large bowl. Gently fold in egg yolk mixture, just until blended.
- Using a large spoon, alternately spoon batters into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan with a removable bottom; swirl batters slightly with a thin knife.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until cake is firm in center when gently pressed. Immediately invert center tube of pan onto the neck of a bottle; cool completely. To loosen, run a knife around sides of pan and tube. Invert cake to unmold onto a serving plate.
- Glaze: In a bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of the orange juice, orange zest, and 1/2 cup of the confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Beat in the remaining 2 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, half at a time. Add more orange juice as needed to make a thick glaze. Beat until smooth. Spread glaze over cake. Let stand until set; garnish with orange peel.