- 3 large potatoes , about 750g
- 6 skinless boneless chicken thighs , cut into chunks
- 1 large leek , chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms , quartered
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml milk
- 150ml single cream
- small bunch tarragon , chopped
- Put the whole, unpeeled potatoes in cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and cool a little.
- Cook the chicken in a hot non-stick pan until browned all over. You can add a knob of butter if needed but there should be enough fat on the meat to fry it. Scoop out of the pan and set aside, then add the leeks with a knob of butter. cook until softened then add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Sprinkle over the flour and stir well. Gradually add the milk and cream, stirring until you have a sauce. Add back the chicken, season and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tarragon.
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Divide the mixture between 4 heatproof pie dishes. Peel and coarsely grate the potatoes. Toss with a little seasoning then top the pies with the rösti mix. You can drizzle a little extra butter on top if you want them more golden. Bake for 30 minutes until the rösti is cooked and crisp on top.