1 lb/ 500g/ 2 cups fresh blackberries
4 oz/ 125g/ 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 pt/ 125 ml/ 1/2 cup water
2 egg whites
How To Prepare:
1. Clean the blackberries thoroughly and remove stalks. Liquidise the fruit in a blender and strain through a sieve.
2. Dissolve the sugar in the water and boil for about 5 minutes to make a syrup.
3. Add the blackberries and boil for a further minute.
4. When the liquid has cooled, fold it into stiffly-beaten egg whites.
5. Freeze in an ice-cream machine or in ice cube trays in the freezer compartment of a fridge.
6. If the latter is used, the mixture should be stirred about once an hour to prevent large ice crystals developing.